BIND Masters and slaves

Ted Hatfield ted at io-tx.com
Mon Jun 15 19:34:42 UTC 2020

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:38 AM Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>>
>> Vin?cius Ferr?o via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> But the prevalence of terms are still master and slave. And I really
>>> hope this thing of changing nomenclatures doesn?t go any further due to
>>> political correctness.
>>
>> "Political correctness" just means being considerate for other people,
>> especially people who do not have many of the advantages we might take for
>> granted.
>>

> Being considerate to others should not be associated with politics,
> something the term "political correctness" is.
>
> There is a term in Africa for those who use "especially people who do
> not have many of the advantages we might take for granted" in their
> sentences; it is not a particularly positive term.

Regardless of whether you consider this a political issue or not the
terminology master/slave has a poor connotation for large swathes of the
general public.

In the time we live in the change from master/slave to primary/secondary
is both justified and appropriate.

Although nobody likes to change, this is a fairly minor issue and not
deserving of complaint.