Debug Approach Help?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Aug 11 14:56:22 UTC 2021

I am running bind 9.16.19 on two FreeBSD 13-STABLE instances.  The master
is on a Digital Ocean droplet and works fine.  The slave is hosted on
physical machine here in our offices.

This has always worked flawlessly until recently.   Periodically, the slave
refuses to resolve names like 'git.freebsd.org' and we have to restart bind
on the slave to get it working correctly again.

Rather than using cron to restart bind every hour (!), we'd like to get to
the root of the problem.  The slave machine is at the end of a Comcast
Business pipe and their execrable security edge garbage may be implicated.

We could use some help on an approach to debugging this.  Having never had
significant bind problems over 20 years of use, we literally have no named
debugging experience...

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com