Trying again on SERVFAIL

J Doe general at nativemethods.com
Wed Feb 10 21:38:05 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-10 3:05 a.m., Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> Hi Havard,

<snip>

> That's what I've been doing.  For an incoming message, a temporary
> failure means replying a 4xx code.  The sender keeps the message in its
> queue, and eventually gives up.  Once upon a time, MTAs used to retry
> sending for five days.  Nowadays, several servers don't let queued
> messages grow older than one day.
>
> In the most severe case, a failed DKIM signature might entail a reject.
> So the best course of action seems to be to reserve temporary failures
> to this case.
>
> Still, being able to differentiate a local network congestion from a
> remote bad configuration would help.
>

> Best
> Ale

Hi Ale and list,

This isn't an answer to your original question, but I was curious about
something you mentioned near the end of your message, where you wrote:
"Once upon a time . . . Nowadays, several servers don't let queued
messages grow older than one day".

Out of curiosity, what servers have you encountered that no longer use
the five day cutoff ?

Thanks,

- J