dig standalone source?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jul 5 23:46:01 UTC 2021

> On 6 Jul 2021, at 05:56, Eric Germann via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
>
> Has ISC given any thought to releasing dig as a separate source package?
>
> It’s good for testing DoH, but you need to build the entire bind package to get it.  It would be useful for support analysts without the overhead of compiling all of bind to get it

Really, it a couple of extra megabytes of disk space and a couple of extra minutes of compile
time.  Dig is not a stand alone component.  It depends on libisc, libdns, libisccfg, libirs, and
libbind9.  Thats most of the libraries we build.  It makes no sense to have a seperate source
package for dig.