Zone transfer is happening intermittently between slave and master bind

Prasanna Mathivanan (pmathiva) pmathiva at cisco.com
Wed Mar 17 07:59:29 UTC 2021

Hi team,

I have a weird DNS issue where zone transfer between slave and master is happening intermittently or even if it happens it just says 0 records it got and then sometimes it gets all records.

Transfer completed: 0 messages, 1 records, 0 bytes, 0.001 secs (0 bytes/sec) • intermittent o/p

Transfer completed: 13 messages, 15423 records, 472336 bytes, 0.063 secs (7497396 bytes/sec) • excepted o/p which happens after two to three zone transfers with 0 messages.

When I initiate manual zone transfer via rndc retransfer <zone> it works fine.

Refresh interval set in zone is 4 hours but still even if it crosses this time zone transfer doesn’t work.

Is it something like if difference in serial number is big because of unsuccessful zone transfers and its taking time to catch up ?

I couldn’t find anything from logs (checked both xfer and messages)

Can anyone guide me if am missing something.

--
Thanks
Prasanna