host your subdomain on your own ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 12 17:14:32 UTC 2021

Am 12.11.21 um 17:48 schrieb lejeczek via bind-users:
> Hi guys.
>
> I'm looking to setup my subdomin in-house and I'm hoping for some wise
> advises from experts, it's my first foray into this thus go easy on me
> please.
>
> zone.top - is hosted by a public registrar
> priv.zone.top - I want to delegate to my own bind
> I'd hope for some generic recipe and pointer to docs, thanks.

needs to be done in the parent zone by whoever hosts it

> Now what I think might be the tricky part though I get that an expert
> might say - trivial.
> I am thinking of 'views' or split-horizon or whatever other nomenclature
> applies, though I hear that that/those are discouraged by experts?
> Or! might that above be unnecessary(?) if, it's possible and allowed
> that such public, mine bind will resolve to IPs which are 'private' -
> all that so my 'priv.zone.top' will resolve to whole www but resources
> of the zone/domain will be available, as they are, only in/via private
> networks.
>
> Does that make sense?

wouldn't it be easier to setup two different subdomains in which case
you don't need delegation at all - your local named would hist the
internal subdomain and doing recursion for everything else

i mean when it's private and not www why does the world need to know
about the subdomain?