host your subdomain on your own ?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Nov 13 16:00:49 UTC 2021

On 11/13/21 12:59 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> i doubt that any ISP out there would delegate to a private address and
> when your bind is asked over it's public IP a view won't work

ISP's willingness to do something is a policy decision and that's
completely different than their capability to do something which is a
technology decision.

I see zero reason that a parent zone operator can't delegate something
to a private / non-globally-routed IP.

> chicken / egg

Not necessarily.  Just because the Internet at large can't access the IP
that the child zone is delegated to doesn't mean that business partner's
can't access it.  --  I believe that I saw in one of the messages that
there was a VPN between the sites / business partners which did support
/ provide routing to the private IP.

In some ways, this is similar to making something resolve to 127.0.0.1
and / or ::1.  That information can be published in globally accessible
DNS, but it will likely be of very limited value.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die