host your subdomain on your own ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 13 16:07:51 UTC 2021

Am 13.11.21 um 17:00 schrieb Grant Taylor via bind-users:
> On 11/13/21 12:59 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> i doubt that any ISP out there would delegate to a private address and
>> when your bind is asked over it's public IP a view won't work
>
> ISP's willingness to do something is a policy decision and that's
> completely different than their capability to do something which is a
> technology decision.

but you have to deal with it

> I see zero reason that a parent zone operator can't delegate something
> to a private / non-globally-routed IP.
>
>> chicken / egg
>
> Not necessarily.  Just because the Internet at large can't access the IP
> that the child zone is delegated to doesn't mean that business partner's
> can't access it.  --  I believe that I saw in one of the messages that
> there was a VPN between the sites / business partners which did support
> / provide routing to the private IP.
>
> In some ways, this is similar to making something resolve to 127.0.0.1
> and / or ::1.  That information can be published in globally accessible
> DNS, but it will likely be of very limited value.

you missed my second post!

* he needs the delegation because lack of control
* when the clients network is using a public
   forwarder the delegation simply can't work
* so the problem is lack of control and can't be solved

personally i would simply add additional names point to the LAN
addresses in my normal public zone, you don't even need a full subdomain
zone for add "something.priv.example.com" poining to 192.168.196.10

and not to forget: most networks are forwarding to some public
nameserver which can't reach your private named at all

8.8.8.8 (google) can't hit your internal view

when you can't control something it's exactly that