Questions about RFC 9859 generalized NOTIFY(CDS) support in BIND

Oli Schacher oli.schacher at switch.ch
Sun Sep 13 16:14:10 UTC 2026


Hi,

I'm currently playing around with generalized NOTIFY, as we are 
deploying an agent for .ch/.li. I have a few questions about the current 
implementation in BIND 9.21. From reading the documentation and code, my 
understanding is that some parts are currently not configurable or not 
implemented, but I'd like to confirm this before pestering anyone with 
feature requests.

Is it possible to manually configure a notification endpoint for a zone, 
to test the implementation while the parent does not yet publish DSYNC 
records?

As far as I understand, BIND sends the notification immediately after 
the CDS/CDNSKEY RRset changes and ignores `notify-defer`. This seems 
potentially problematic if the notification recipient immediately 
retrieves CDS/CDNSKEY from the authoritative servers: the updated RRset 
may not yet have propagated to all secondaries. Is there currently any 
way to configure such a delay for NOTIFY(CDS), e.g. by using 
`zone-propagation-delay` or another setting?

Does BIND send only one notification after the CDS/CDNSKEY RRset 
changes, or does/could it generate another notification at a later 
point, e.g. when checking the parent DS RRset? I'm asking because 
receiving a notification does not necessarily mean that the parent can 
immediately process the requested change. For example, the parental 
agent may temporarily be unable to act because of rate limiting, or 
because it has cached state for the domain which currently prevents 
another modification and may need another nudge later on.

RFC 9859 allows the NOTIFY sender to include the EDNS Report-Channel 
option so that the notification agent can report processing problems 
asynchronously. Is there a way to configure the Report-Channel for these 
CDS NOTIFY packets? From the documentation I gather that 
`send-report-channel` only applies to authoritative DNS responses.

Best regards,
Oli


More information about the bind-users mailing list