Questions about RFC 9859 generalized NOTIFY(CDS) support in BIND

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at isc.org
Tue Sep 15 15:09:15 UTC 2026


Hi Oli,

Thank your for your interest in Generalized DNS Notifications.

On 9/13/26 18:14, Oli Schacher via bind-users wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm currently playing around with generalized NOTIFY, as we are 
> deploying an agent for .ch/.li. I have a few questions about the current 
> implementation in BIND 9.21. From reading the documentation and code, my 
> understanding is that some parts are currently not configurable or not 
> implemented, but I'd like to confirm this before pestering anyone with 
> feature requests.

You are right that these points are not implemented in BIND 9 currently.

I actually have made work items for the four feature requests. See 
below. We will work on them on a best effort basis. Feel free to respond 
on them.

> Is it possible to manually configure a notification endpoint for a zone, 
> to test the implementation while the parent does not yet publish DSYNC 
> records?

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/work_items/6419

> As far as I understand, BIND sends the notification immediately after 
> the CDS/CDNSKEY RRset changes and ignores `notify-defer`. This seems 
> potentially problematic if the notification recipient immediately 
> retrieves CDS/CDNSKEY from the authoritative servers: the updated RRset 
> may not yet have propagated to all secondaries. Is there currently any 
> way to configure such a delay for NOTIFY(CDS), e.g. by using `zone- 
> propagation-delay` or another setting?

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/work_items/6420

> Does BIND send only one notification after the CDS/CDNSKEY RRset 
> changes, or does/could it generate another notification at a later 
> point, e.g. when checking the parent DS RRset? I'm asking because 
> receiving a notification does not necessarily mean that the parent can 
> immediately process the requested change. For example, the parental 
> agent may temporarily be unable to act because of rate limiting, or 
> because it has cached state for the domain which currently prevents 
> another modification and may need another nudge later on.

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/work_items/6421

> RFC 9859 allows the NOTIFY sender to include the EDNS Report-Channel 
> option so that the notification agent can report processing problems 
> asynchronously. Is there a way to configure the Report-Channel for these 
> CDS NOTIFY packets? From the documentation I gather that `send-report- 
> channel` only applies to authoritative DNS responses.

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/work_items/6422


Best regards,

Matthijs


More information about the bind-users mailing list