DDNS, Notify and IXFR

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Thu Aug 12 18:02:44 UTC 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Kevin J. Dunlap wrote:
[...]

> True, but you missed that the  IXFR does generate the notifies because it
> causes the serial number to increment.
>
> Should an IXFR request cause the serial number to increment?
> or should we let the logic in the primary dictate when the serial number should
> increment and therefore cut down on the number of notifies going out?
>
> -Kevin

Why should an IXFR ever cause a serial number update? My view is that
serial numbers are indicators of zone content change and an IXFR doesn't
change content any more than an AXFR. Since all dynamic updates are pushed
up to the master, it should be the only one doing the serial number
changes.

Am I just being stupid here?

jerry