DDNS, Notify and IXFR

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Aug 12 17:50:32 UTC 1999

At 10:33 AM -0700 1999/8/12, Kevin J. Dunlap wrote:

> True, but you missed that the  IXFR does generate the notifies because it
> causes the serial number to increment.

	Oy.  Yes, I would say that is a problem.

> Should an IXFR request cause the serial number to increment?
> or should we let the logic in the primary dictate when the serial
>number should
> increment and therefore cut down on the number of notifies going out?

	I haven't thought this out at all, but I'd have to say that my
first impression is that IXFR should not cause the serial number to
update.  Only the primary should be able to determine when the serial
number should be updated (i.e., the serial number in the file has
been changed and the zone has been reloaded, a Dynamic DNS update has
been performed, etc...).

	Perhaps there is some deeper reason why IXFR causes the serial
number to update?

--
Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]