DDNS, Notify and IXFR

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sun Aug 15 21:44:38 UTC 1999

Glenn;

> > Yes we need that, or we need to delete IXFR as a protocol and replace
> > with something MUCH better.
>
> are you suggesting that the WG should not progress IXFR and design another
> solution?  if so are there other proposals on the table? [this is WG
> discussion -- maybe this should move the namedroppers list]

FYI, the discussion in DNSIND WG was that it is not a good idea to defer
serial number increment, when Paul proposed that it should be allowed
even if it results in more inconsistencies than the current DNS.

Paul insisted on his proposal to let his BIND defer the update,
when it is not visible to other hosts, which breaks the very spirit
of NOTIFY (not IXFR), which also was drafted by Paul. ;-)

							Masataka Ohta