ndc error on 8.2.2.2-P5 / AIX4.3.2

Paul A Vixie vixie at mibh.net
Wed Dec 8 01:19:50 UTC 1999

> | no.  if the config file isn't valid, named should not start.  starting
> | with an errorenous config file will give undefined (erroneous) results.
> | the right solution to this is...
>
> Sure, but a syntax problem in one zone statement should
> not affect all other zones? There are some things that
> I think can/should be compartmentatlized w/o severely affecting
> usability.

this is a yacc parser.  there is no way to distinguish error severities
between an extra "}" (which would make the rest of the file unreadable)
and "type mister" (misspelled keyword).  there are other things which
can occur after parsing, like ACL names not matching, that could be
treated as warnings rather than errors, but anything which caused a zone
to not load should in my opinion be fatal to the entire configuration.

> Many of us reload named by script, in which case an error message
> and total refusal to start would be worse than just losing a sinngle
> zone.

yes, which is why i made my other proposal...

> | ...which could be done in bind8 except that bind8's error messages are not
> | all that crisp and sometimes the line numbers are off and so on.  i'd like
> | to see "ndc reconfig" do offline syntax checking of all changed files and
> | display decent error messages to the "ndc" stdout (rather than syslog) and
> | refuse to load the new config file if it had any errors.
>
> Than would be fine.

...and now i just need to write it up and put it on the work queue.