ndc error on 8.2.2.2-P5 / AIX4.3.2

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Wed Dec 8 01:02:05 UTC 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Paul A Vixie wrote:

| Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 10:22:51 -0800
| From: Paul A Vixie <vixie at mibh.net>
| To: Mathias Koerber <mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg>
| Cc: Rip Loomis <Gilbert.R.Loomis at cpmx.saic.com>, Mark.Andrews at iengines.com,
|     MICHALA at uk.ibm.com, bind-workers at isc.org
| Subject: Re: ndc error on 8.2.2.2-P5 / AIX4.3.2
|
| > I generally find that named.conf is *much* more sensitive
| > to syntax problems than named.boot was. in boot, a syntax
| > error only affected one zone at most (uaually), in .conf, one
| > syntax error can affect the WHOLE server.
| >
| > Is there *anything* that can be done to make it more robust?
|
| no.  if the config file isn't valid, named should not start.  starting
| with an errorenous config file will give undefined (erroneous) results.
| the right solution to this is...

Sure, but a syntax problem in one zone statement should
not affect all other zones? There are some things that
I think can/should be compartmentatlized w/o severely affecting
usability.

Many of us reload named by script, in which case an error message
and total refusal to start would be worse than just losing a sinngle
zone.

| > I have several times requested a stand-alone syntax checker which
| > uses the exact same parser which bind does, or a syntax-check-only flag for
| > BIND-8 itself, so that one can verify the .conf file before reload.
| > (Yes, we have a  Bronze support contract which gives us feature priority [at
| > least it should] !) This is an *urgently* required feature ! I'm not really
| > comfy with waiting for BIND-9 for this (is this even planned for BIND-9,
| > first release or Beta?)
|
| ...which could be done in bind8 except that bind8's error messages are not
| all that crisp and sometimes the line numbers are off and so on.  i'd like
| to see "ndc reconfig" do offline syntax checking of all changed files and
| display decent error messages to the "ndc" stdout (rather than syslog) and
| refuse to load the new config file if it had any errors.

Than would be fine.

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *