wrong ans. name

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jul 26 05:02:54 UTC 1999

At 11:56 PM -0400 1999/7/25, Andrew Brown wrote:

>>well, to the extent that multiple cnames are legal, which they aren't,
>>or supported by bind, which they are, it is an error to include more
>>than one in a reply.  they are only useful in connection with round robin.
>
> that stuff i knew.  but people think it buys them something, so they
> continue to use it.

	It does buy you something.  Legal or not, it buys them a way
around DNS truncation problems when they've got too many machines
that answer for a particular name.  E.g., MX RRs for aol.com (at
least, as of the time I worked there), the name
AmericaOnline.aol.com, etc....

--
Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]