Should bind ignore bad cached NS?

Jim Jagielski jim at devsys.jaguNET.com
Wed Nov 17 20:46:37 UTC 1999

Here's what I think is what's I've been seeing as far as a "troubling"
difference between 8.2.2 and 4.9.7. One domain which exibits this
effect is 'jerkandtheoffs.com'

Anyway, the NSs in the jerkandtheoffs.com DNS records are bogus:

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    jerkandtheoffs.com.     23h33m37s IN NS  ns.nyc.datacom.net.
    jerkandtheoffs.com.     23h33m37s IN NS  ns.dc.datacom.net.

No A records are returned or exist for those names.

Now I _think_ what's going on once BIND gets that NS info, it
ignores the NS entries in the 'Nic DNS records. So if I now do a
'dig jerkandtheoffs.com mx' BIND will try to contact one of
the above 2 NS servers and will fail. According to 'Nic,
the DNS servers for that domain are: SERVER0.DATACOM.NET and
SERVER1.DATACOM.NET. If I do a 'dig @SERVER0.DATACOM.NET jerkandtheoffs.com mx'
then all is well.

It appears that 4.9.7 would ignore any cached NS entries for a
domain, and use the 'Nic records...

Can anyone else reproduce this?