minimum expire time

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Wed Sep 15 19:23:31 UTC 1999

, I have to jump in up here.

While I agree that such options would be very useful for dialup accounts, I
don't agree that people that are smart enough to decide they want the
option are also smart enough to recognize the problem they've created. I
spend many hours helping people solve problems "with our service" that are
nothing more than ignorant interpretation of the config docs.

In the last month I've been to two large companies with sysadmin staffs of
greater than 10 people who had their expire times set lower than their
retry times. I've helped a major ISP understand why tuning the expire time
won't help them migrate hosts when the TTL remains the same. The nature of
this problem goes far beyond those basic understandings.

No, people don't know what they are doing to themselves. And specifically,
administrators of large domains make abitrary choices for huge numbers of
people (as they need to) without recognizing the difference (which they
should).

Please put immensely large warning labels around this feature. Suggest never
setting it higher than 5 minutes, and note that it should be disabled prior
to complaining to anyone about their site.

BIAS NOTE: My primary responsibility includes listening to people complain
about inability to access or use services. Less than 5% of these problems
are not within their own configuration. Less than 1% are actually our problem.
I don't look forward to any feature which could increase the number of
complaints.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
JRhett at ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/