8.2.3 - maybe a problem

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed Jul 5 05:19:55 UTC 2000

    Date:        Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:33:24 -0700
    From:        Paul A Vixie <vixie at mibh.net>

  | It doesn't.  I dimly remember a zombie problem on Digital UNIX 3.2.

There clearly is, as all those zombies are using up way too much VM.
Whether that's th eonly one or not I don't know.

  | In any case, the bug Mark fixed depends on waitpid() being called,

??   It was when spawnxfer() returned -1, which would be when vfork()
returns -1

Is there something I'm missing there?   (Aside from the fact that I
actually looked at that code the other day and failed to spot it...)

The next time I catch it in this state (assuming it happens again)
I will see if I can figure out what is happening - SIGCHLD getting
itself permanently blocked is is certainly a possibility, though
actually discovering that has happened might not be real easy.

kre