BIND 8.2.x interaction with DHCP servers

joecwell at us.ibm.com joecwell at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 12 15:14:59 UTC 2000

Is anyone using their BIND 8.2.x servers with dynamic updates
coming from DHCP? If so, what method(s) are you using to identify
the clients so that it is less likely someone can use a DHCP
server to steal a host name?

An Oct 1999 draft of "Interaction between DHCP & DNS" outlined
a method using KEY RR records to store the client id (usually
interface card mac address). But now a March 2000 revision of
that draft drops the KEY RR method and instead uses a new RR
called DHCID (which is written up in a different draft called
"A DNS RR For Encoding DHCP Client Identity").

Does BIND 8.2.x support the DHCID RR?
If not, I guess I'll continue to work on an implementation that
uses the KEY RRs.  If BIND does support DHCID RR, is that what
everyone else either already uses or will be moving toward?
Or, are there any other methods besides those 2 that people
are using?

Thanks -
Joe
Joe Caldwell, IBM Corporation, AS/400 Division
1701 North St., Dept GZVA, Endicott, N.Y. 13760
Internet e-mail: joecwell at us.ibm.com