DNS reply ADDITIONAL SECTION data with MX lookup ?

Matti Aarnio mea at nic.funet.fi
Thu Jun 22 10:12:23 UTC 2000

  It looks like my initial question about the Additional Records Section
  of DNS reply got a definite answer, thanks.  "If one gets A's for a
  machine, aside of delegation glue records those are likely to be
  full set of A records for that machine.  Having A's doesn't mean one
  gets AAAAs if such exist for the same machine.  --> To be sure one
  shall ask explicitely for A's and AAAA's if such haven't been supplied
  in the ARS."  (This all in the scope of MX processing.)

  Now continuing the wandering thread a bit..

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:01:34AM +0200, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:
> lamont at security.hp.com:
> > However, the root nameservers only allow one IP per hostname, which means
> I suspect you're mixing things up.

  I agree that that is TLD server operational issue -- and Internic issue
  at that, not IANA..

  But pray tell, what might be behind of current situation where
  one of  .COM  domain servers is giving NXDOMAIN for nearly all
  queries, while others seem to be happy campers.  All of them
  have same SOA :-(   -- hmm.. not,  M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET  has
  different SOA, but it doesn't have an obviously bad database..
  The one which has been buggy for past few hours is  A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

--
/Matti Aarnio	<mea at nic.funet.fi>