BIND 8.2.x interaction with DHCP servers

joecwell at us.ibm.com joecwell at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 27 14:58:25 UTC 2000

David ...

> > >Neither, the KEY RR hack is a real BAD idea and if anyone has
implemented
> > >it he/she should be taken out and ..... ;
> >
> > Ok ... but if it's neither, then what are people who are
> > tying their DHCP server updates to BIND 8.2.x using?

> On the issue of the DHCID RR, I have to take the blame for some of this
--
> there is some internal discussion on the best way of handling the DHCID
RR
> situation with differing opinions on the DHCP side of the house and the
DNS
> side of the house.  We had hoped to have a revised draft soon after the
> Adelaide IETF, but other priorities got in the way.  I will do what I can
> insure that a revised draft is issued.

> However, this is somewhat academic for BINDv8 -- we have no plans to add
any
> features to BINDv8 following the upcoming release of BINDv9.  The only
updates
> to v8 will be bug fixes.

Since one of the primary reasons for wanting a dynamic DNS
(at least with my customers) is so that DHCP updates
can be synchonized with the DNS ... wasn't that one of the
main reasons dynamic capability was added to BINDv8 in the
first place?  And since DHCID doesn't exist, current users
of the dynamic capabilities must be using something that is
supported in BINDv8 when they make updates from DHCP, don't
they?

And I understand that you wouldn't want to retrofit BINDv8
with something new like DHCID. But since BINDv9 is not yet
production, and BINDv8 with dynamic DNS capability has been out
for some time now, I'm just trying to find out what that
existing BINDv8-supported "something" is. I'd like to not make
up my own, if there is some popular way folks have been getting
around the fact that there apparently is no standard for it yet.

Thanks -
Joe
Joe Caldwell, IBM Corporation, AS/400 Division
1701 North St., Dept GZVA, Endicott, N.Y. 13760
Internet e-mail: joecwell at us.ibm.com