BIND 8.2.x interaction with DHCP servers

Brad Knowles blk at skynet.be
Tue Jun 27 15:10:41 UTC 2000

At 10:58 AM -0400 2000/6/27, joecwell at us.ibm.com wrote:

>  And I understand that you wouldn't want to retrofit BINDv8
>  with something new like DHCID. But since BINDv9 is not yet
>  production, and BINDv8 with dynamic DNS capability has been out
>  for some time now, I'm just trying to find out what that
>  existing BINDv8-supported "something" is.

	My understanding is that the few people who are doing this put
both DHCP and BIND on the same machine, and disallow updates from
anywhere else.  This allows them to do them "relatively" securely,
even though the protocols themselves are inherently insecure.

	Me, I'm content to wait for BINDv9 for this kind of functionality
to be secure and usable across the LAN, MAN, and WAN.