BIND 8.2.x interaction with DHCP servers

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at tislabs.com
Fri Jun 23 14:35:33 UTC 2000

At 08:38 AM 6/23/00, joecwell at us.ibm.com wrote:
>Since I didn't get any repsonse the first time, I figured I'd try
>just one more time.
>
>Is the DHCID RR supported in BIND 8.2.x?

No, and it is not supported in Bind-9 either as it
is and ID that has not been given an DNS RR number.

As the DHC WG can not produce the documentation on what or
how to store a tag in this record there is no need to push on it.

>Is anyone actually doing DHCP and DNS together with BIND 8.2.x?
>And if so, are you using the DHCID RR or the earlier KEY RR
>approach for storing the 'client-identifier'?

Neither, the KEY RR hack is a real BAD idea and if anyone has implemented
it he/she should be taken out and ..... ;

         Olafur