BIND 8.2.3 T1A and Notify

Ted_Rule at flextech.co.uk Ted_Rule at flextech.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 09:46:40 UTC 2000

Someone's going to tell me the code already does this, but how's about
defaulting "stealth slaves" to notify no, and others to notify yes.....

By  which I mean...

master servers issue notify requests to all servers listed in NS records +
also-notify set.

slave servers with notify enabled AND NS records for themselves - which
implies they are NOT part of the master's also-notify set - issue notifies to
all other servers in the NS record set other than the master which notified
them.
( As at present )

"stealth slaves" == slave servers with notify enabled and NO NS records for
themselves - which implies they ARE part of the master's also-notify set
- do NOT issue notifies to all other servers.
I think this should pretty well automate the slave/master sub-option
which Mark has suggested, albeit that you'd somehow have to override
the condition if you have a multi-level configuration with more than the
envisaged master/slave/stealth-slave levels accomodated by this.

For 200 servers of which 10 are in the NS record set, we get each NS slave
or master issuing 9 other notifies to the other NS records + however many
explicit also-notify's have been hand configured. Thus very few "spurious"
notifies, unless the administrator explicitly configured them.

Ted

This E-mail message, including any attachments, is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed,
and may contain confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, any review, retransmission,
disclosure, copying, modification or other use of this E-mail message
or attachments is strictly forbidden.

If you have received this E-mail message in error, please contact the
author and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.

You are also advised that the views and opinions expressed in this E-mail
message and any attachments are the author's own, and may not reflect the
views and opinions of FLEXTECH Television.