Why both BIND 8.3.0 and BIND 8.2.5?

Joseph Caldwell joecwell at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 7 14:16:31 UTC 2001

Based on there being release candidates out for both 8.2.5 and 8.3.0, it
looks like the plan is to actually release both; is that correct?  If so,
why would you want to do that instead of just have 8.3.0 (I realize that
8.3.0 has 'new function', while 8.2.5 is just 'fixes'; but is the new
function so extensive or incomaptible that one might need to stick with the
8.2.x series instead of moving to 8.3.0?)?

My platform, IBM iSeries (aka AS/400), is currently at 8.2.3 and I would
like to upgrade it soon.  I guess I'm just looking into insight as to under
what conditions I would need to stick with 8.2.x instead of going to 8.3.0?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Joe
Joe Caldwell, IBM Corp., iSeries 400 Laboratory
1701 North St., Dept GZPA, Endicott, N.Y. 13760
Internet e-mail: joecwell at us.ibm.com