Why both BIND 8.3.0 and BIND 8.2.5?

Joseph Caldwell joecwell at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 7 20:51:32 UTC 2001

Thanks David and Rip for the responses ... you both pretty
much gave the same rationale, and that makes sense.

And Rip ...
Yes, we're looking into moving to BIND 9 at
some point, but in the short term it looks like BIND 8.2.3
has some bugs, and so I definitely want to upgrade my
BIND 8 implementation at least one more time before tackling
the big switch to 9 ... and so that's why I was wondering
about 8.3.0 and 8.2.5.
And as far as your question on iSeries (AS/400) customers
locally implementing BIND 8.3.0 features even if I don't;
it is certainly technically possible, but not trivial. At
this point, though, I don't see anything on the list of new
features for 8.3.0 that our customers are asking for so I'm
probably safe with whichever one I end up going with.

Thanks again for the explanation and insights/opinions.
Joe
Joe Caldwell, IBM Corp., iSeries 400 Laboratory
1701 North St., Dept GZPA, Endicott, N.Y. 13760
Internet e-mail: joecwell at us.ibm.com