multi-protocol support of queryperf

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Thu Jul 25 09:45:26 UTC 2002

>>> The attached patch will add an ability to support multiple protocols
>>> (particularly IPv6) to bind9/contrib/queryperf.  The patch is for
>>> bind-9.3.0s20020618.
>>>
>>> I believe the patch does not affect the current behavior in a single
>>> protocol environment.  If the patch is reasonable, please merge it to
>>> the bind9 kit.

>> This will break on platforms that don't have getaddrinfo().

> Hmm, I see.

>> The right
>> solution might be to use bind9_getaddresses() from libbind9, or to modify
>> configure to check for getaddrinfo() and use gethostbyname() otherwise.

> Okay, then I'll check the code again as well as watch the ongoing
> discussion on this thread, and try to make a more portable patch.

I'm now working on the improved patch.  I have two candidates for the
improvements:

1. provide "homemade" getaddrinfo() for systems that do not support
   the function (detected by autoconf).
2. use older functions (such as gethostbyname) for systems that do not
   support getaddrinfo().

I personally prefer 1, because it will make the main code simpler.
(Also, more and more support of getaddrinfo() will come.)  On the
other hand, candidate 1 will introduce some "duplication" in the BIND
9 kit.  So, I'd like to know the preference of BIND developers.

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.