multi-protocol support of queryperf

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Sun Jul 28 08:03:25 UTC 2002

>>> The right
>>> solution might be to use bind9_getaddresses() from libbind9, or to modify
>>> configure to check for getaddrinfo() and use gethostbyname() otherwise.

>> Okay, then I'll check the code again as well as watch the ongoing
>> discussion on this thread, and try to make a more portable patch.

> I'm now working on the improved patch.  I have two candidates for the
> improvements:

> 1. provide "homemade" getaddrinfo() for systems that do not support
>    the function (detected by autoconf).
> 2. use older functions (such as gethostbyname) for systems that do not
>    support getaddrinfo().

> I personally prefer 1, because it will make the main code simpler.
> (Also, more and more support of getaddrinfo() will come.)  On the
> other hand, candidate 1 will introduce some "duplication" in the BIND
> 9 kit.  So, I'd like to know the preference of BIND developers.

The attached is the set of new or modified files with approach 1.  The
difference is quite big, so I didn't make "patches".  A tiny version
of getaddrinfo() is included, which was derived from the
implementation of the KAME project.

I've tested the new kit from configure on SunOS 5.6 (as an example
that does not have getaddrinfo()), and confirmed that it works well
for IPv4.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.