FORMERR from bind9 for reverse map for Ottawa dialup

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Aug 21 18:35:53 UTC 2003

[ On Thursday, August 21, 2003 at 11:10:12 (-0400), Michael Richardson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FORMERR from bind9 for reverse map for Ottawa dialup
>
> Let me repeat my command lines, on another machine, with a different revision
> of dig as well:

That doesn't help.  You're still asking the same thing of the same
apparently authoritative servers.  I'd be surprised if you got different
results than before.

As I recall what you originally asked about was your own local caching
server.

Why don't you kill and re-start it several times and immediately after
each restart (i.e. before any automated program can get in your way) you
should query it directly.

While doing so you should trace (with tcpdump or similar) what it sends
out so you can see which nameservers it queries and how it queries them
and what responses it gets in return.  You will see a difference if it
queries auth01.ns.uu.net first instead of ns.uunet.ca or ns2.uunet.ca
(and as far as I understand it must query one of those three before it
can learn the true authoritative servers for the zone in question).

Alternately try starting up BIND-8 with the "host-statistics" option
turned on and then you can dump its cache after every test and see where
it got the various related cached records from.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>          Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>