Packaging BIND 9 for Windows?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Apr 6 03:36:41 UTC 2004

At 11:59 AM 4/5/2004, Loomis, Rip wrote:
>Any interest from others on working together, using
>the Windows Installer XML tools from Microsoft
>(released under an IBM OSSish license) to make it easier
>to distribute installable BIND 9 packages for
>Windows?  Or is ISC already working on the same?
>I'd like to get such a thing working and then get it
>contributed into the main-line BIND 9 tree.
>
>Last time I tried, the process of installing BIND 9
>on Windows boxen (even the original compile host)
>required a little more sysadmin hand-holding than I
>would prefer--if there's been relevant progress
>_without_ a toolset like this then I'd love to know.
>I'll hopefully get a chance to test some things with
>more recent BIND 9 on Windows next week.
>
>Best starting point for info on the toolset:
>   http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=365546
>
>   --Rip

Rip, could you explain exactly what sysadmin handholding you mean?
Did you use BINDInstall? If not that would cause you problems.
If you did what's missing? It could get added. For BIND 9.3.0
I rewrote several parts of it for improving security on Windows boxes.
It's in the December 2002 snapshot. Without having seen this XML tool,
I doubt that it is capable of dealing with privileges like I did in the 9.3.0
version of BINDInstall. BINDInstall is also very fast. My experience of
MSI has been abysmal, performance-wise. BINDInstall is done in
less than 30 seconds once you have specified where to install it and
even then it defaults to a recommended location.

I'm currently in the process of doing yet another rewrite to for NTP
and in the process making the code more generic.

If you can provide more details of the problems, I will see what can
be done.

Danny