Comparing query rates (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Feb 22 16:34:34 UTC 2005

> FYI, I just did a crude test on an elderly 300 Mhz Pentium II running
> BIND 9.3. It handles ~2000 qps -- 20 times what your test found --
> when answering for in-core authoritative data.

one of the things OARC is on the hook for in terms of our nsf grant
(see http://oarc.isc.org/ and please consider joining!) is to put
together a persistent testbed/lab.  i'd hope for regular "bakeoffs"
of dns performance using consistent data, test generators, network
switches, and so on.  i'd also hope for participation from vendors
of appliances, and other commercial implementations both based on
BIND and completely BIND-free.  (the reason OARC cares about this
is so we can then test various DDoS mitigation techniques/products.)