Comparing query rates (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb--bind at zaphods.net
Tue Feb 22 16:06:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:11:09AM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:
<trimmed>
>                                              I know some name servers
> (PowerDNS?) maintain a cache of recent answers in wire format and can
> simply bit-copy the response without doing a lookup and marshalling
> the data for a reply if the same query is repeated. Maybe BIND9 will
> do this one day.
It is PowerDNS indeed.
 -> http://doc.powerdns.com/performance.html#PACKETCACHE
License issues:
Since PowerDNS is GPL now, it there any legal way  to 'steal' portions of
this code and distribute it under BIND-License or as an addon or patch
set under GPL?
I think this would be a great thing to have with BIND no matter the license.

> Running the latest code is usually the best policy. It will have the
> old bugs fixed. And it'll no doubt have new bugs. :-) IMO the new
> features in 9.3 are well worth the upgrade price on their own.
That was not really the answer to my question but it was an answer.
You're appreciated.

	Stefan
--
"Bevor  nicht  unfähigste  Frauen in höchsten Positionen sitzen, ist die
Emanzipation noch nicht vollbracht."