restructuring/redesigning BIND (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Wed Feb 23 02:32:06 UTC 2005

>> Well.... yeah, ok.  But I still think it takes too long to load zone
>> files and answer queries.  The fact that named blocks completely until
>> all zones are loaded is annoying.

> 	That's BIND-8.  BIND-9, at least with threading enabled, will
> start answering queries immediately on startup.  I consider this to
> be one of the many advantages that BIND-9 has over BIND-8.

Ah, so this is (one of) what you meant by "the same blocking issues as
BIND8" in a previous message.  Unfortunately, this is not 100% true.

BIND9 can keep responding to queries when it reloads a zone (or zones)
(BTW: this is also the case for the non-threaded version), but it still
takes time for "starting" from the scratch, and threading doesn't help
here.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.