restructuring/redesigning BIND (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 23 08:42:16 UTC 2005

At 11:32 AM +0900 2005-02-23, JINMEI Tatuya /
=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= wrote:

>  BIND9 can keep responding to queries when it reloads a zone (or zones)
>  (BTW: this is also the case for the non-threaded version), but it still
>  takes time for "starting" from the scratch, and threading doesn't help
>  here.

	This is where pre-computing the database and storing that in a
binary format on disk would probably help.  I'd be a fan of using
existing database technologies such as Berkeley DB for handling that
end of the problem.

	That would also make it a lot easier to have an offline process
update the database on-disk, and then have the server "reload" to
pick up the changes.

	Hmm.  This is starting to sound like DLZ.  ;)

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755