Comparing query rates (was Re: 9.2.5 db causes high cpu?)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Feb 22 09:36:53 UTC 2005

At 7:18 AM +0000 2005-02-22, Jim Reid wrote:

>                                                ISTR you saying in your
>  LISA talk that nobody should pay attention to the absolute numbers and
>  the focus should be on the comparitive results. That said, I wonder if
>  the limited memory that your test server had may have meant some name
>  servers thrashed, adversely affecting their throughout. Even for
>  comparitive purposes.

	The tests were specifically designed to make the servers thrash
on .tv, and none of the servers should have thrashed on the root
zone.  I specifically chose those two particular zones for that
reason.  I wanted to show the relative performance of the software in
question when the zone could be guaranteed to completely fit into
memory, and when the zone could be guaranteed to greatly exceed the
memory available by at least an order of magnitude.  Both extremes
are useful when trying to compare the performance of different
software.

	But if you have different numbers for comparing the various
different programs, I'll be glad to reference them as well as my own
results.  Or instead of my own results, if you can give me reasonable
explanations for why my own testing results should be considered
invalid.

	But until you or someone else can come up with suitable
comparative numbers, I absolutely will not stop referring to my own
test results, and no amount of badgering from you or anyone else is
going to make me stop.

>  FYI, I just did a crude test on an elderly 300 Mhz Pentium II running
>  BIND 9.3. It handles ~2000 qps -- 20 times what your test found --
>  when answering for in-core authoritative data.

	Right, but what about the latest versions of BIND-8, ANS/CNS, and
NSD on the same hardware?  Now that you've done the trivial in-core
test, how about doing a test that is explicitly designed to exceed
the amount of memory available by at least an order of magnitude?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755