under what conditions should I see multiple concurrent threads with BIND 9.3.2b2

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Nov 23 00:01:28 UTC 2005

I'm resurrecting my old netperf3 "DNS_RR" test in the new netperf4 harness
(http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf4/trunk/) and have been building 9.3.2b2 on
SLES9 SP2 IA64 on an 8 CPU system, using --enable-threads.  However, I don't
seem to see named consuming more than one CPU's worth of CPU.

I've done a configure --enable-threads

I've set debugging high and saw messages about using 8 threads in named.run.

I've used ldd to see that the pthread library is linked-in.

I've had requests come-in on more than one IP address.

still, never more than 99.9% CPU util for named per top.  I've scanned the FAQ
file in the distro without success and am wondering which FM I've missed that
will hit me over the head with a clue bat (preferably Nerf :)

sincerely,

rick jones