Paul Wouters: Re: [dnssec-deployment] DNS cache issue

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Nov 23 19:29:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > i'm also very concerned that you're shipping 9.5 before its final
> > release.  i won't even run new BIND releases on my desktop before it
> > hits RC1.  shipping them to unskilled users fills me with dread.
>
> If I read this right, this is only in Fedora which is often considered as
> a testing operating system.

It should probably be in devel or rawhide, but not in a Fedora release.

Sometimes it is hard for distributions to figure out the various versioning
schemes used upstream. We had similar issues with Openswan and Debian, who
had assumed openswan 2.2.x and 2.3.x were major new releases instead of just
a bugfix release.

I can also see how bind 9.5.x ended up in rawhide/devel, and just flipped
into Fedora 8 when F8 ended up being released before bind 9.5 was regarded
as the new stable release.

I was caught similarly with Fedora 7 when I had nsd-3 in devel/rawhide,
and F7 happened before nsd-3 became stable.  Suddenly, I was caught with
needing to support nsd3 to a stable release.

It's a generic problem of the devel->stable process of Fedora development.
Paul