phoning home

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Jun 13 21:06:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 19:40 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> today i noticed the following in my syslog:
>
> 	freshclam daemon 0.97 (OS: freebsd8.2, ARCH: amd64, CPU: amd64)
> 	ClamAV update process started at Sat Jun 11 19:38:55 2011
> 	WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
> 	WARNING: Local version: 0.97 Recommended version: 0.97.1
> 	DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
>
> i think bind needs something like this, but maybe it's an information leak?

Does it really have to be?  If all BIND did was ask <site> "What is the
version and date of the latest (security) update?", compared that with
what it had internally, and said nothing about its own version in the
query, the only thing that would leak about the version of BIND would be
that it was asking in the first place, telling someone "It is no older
than <foo>."  Right?

rick jones