Case-Insensitive Response Compression May Cause Problems With Mixed-Case Data and Non-Conforming Clients

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Feb 10 15:40:25 UTC 2014

Tony Finch wrote:
> Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>
>> to me "preserve case" means remember the case of the first time a label
>> is seen, and regularize to that. it will always be a delegation, so as
>> long as the domain owner can get the parent to register the desired case
>> in the delegation, then everything else will follow from that.
>
> My example included some empty non-terminals - i.e. there are intermediate
> labels which are not delegations, and so they can't be regularized in the
> way you describe.

i regret not saving your original example. can you show me a case where
the first time a label is seen, it's not from an authority? in my own
situation, gw.home.vix.com has an empty non-terminal "home" which will
be first introduced to a recursive server by the vix.com authority. if i
wanted it to be "GW.Home.VIX.com" then i'd have to set the case
correctly in the vix.com authority, and ask verisign to make my
delegation in com all-upper-case. this is more complex than my
above-quoted example, but still leaves the domain owner in ultimate control.