why the new complaints about inherited owner?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Nov 25 11:25:05 UTC 2014

Googling for information on this log message I can find only the source code changes. Why exactly is this bad?

ov 25 03:07:15 geode named[4173]: domain.include:2: record with inherited owner (netconsonance.com) immediately after $ORIGIN (netconsonance.com)

Zone file has the totally bog-standard SOA followed by NS records. Like every record in which multiple RRs are done for the same name, the NS entries are inherited. This is not only bog-standard, but it’s still shown in the latest BIND book from O’Reilly.  So if this is now Bad(tm) can we post something about why it is bad, and what the recommended practice is?

--
Jo Rhett
+1 (415) 999-1798