Glue for exporting DHCP provisioning into Bind

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Apr 14 04:00:33 UTC 2018

Hi.

I’m the maintainer of the ISC-DHCP package for OpenWrt, and I’m working on some glue scripts to take statically provisioned DHCP leases and prime those into Bind as well (assuming this changes infrequently and doing it at the next reboot is adequate).

It mostly works but doesn’t entirely support partial in-addr.arpa zone delegation via RFC-2317.

Adding dynamic updates would allow for near-realtime changes in the provisioning, and that would be nice.  Since it’s local, I could do it on localhost:53 trusted without having to mess with key management, etc.

Adding dynamic updates would also help with unprovisioned hosts that take dynamic leases from the unassigned pool.

Does anyone have experience doing this previously?

The last time I banged on Bind was 4.9.3 so it’s been a while… no, that’s not a typo.

The work is going to be on GitHub if anyone wants to look at it and offer suggestions.

Thanks,

-Philip