DHCP integration into Bind

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 7 19:39:32 UTC 2020

Hi.

I’m running an internal (split-horizon) DNS zone inside a small campus with a single domain.  The server won’t be queryable off-network (externally), i.e. this is intranet-only… but it is the forwarder for external queries…

I’m also using (ISC) DHCP with a number of fixed reservation addresses, plus a few servers that are statically configured and don’t use DHCP.

That means I’d like to have the statically configured servers preconfigured into my domain configuration (zone), but have DHCP be able to push new lease information into zone dynamically as well, presumably using RFC-2317 delegation. (Well, and revoke the lease information on expiration, etc. of course…)

I’d like to put together some turnkey glue to make this work out-of-the-box.

How difficult is this, and are there any good examples of making this work that I could leverage and polish?

Thanks,

-Philip