9.14 -> 9.16 - Slaves zones fail to transfer - dns_request_createvia4() failed: permission denied

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at suominen.com
Mon Mar 30 06:53:50 UTC 2020

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-announce/2020-March/001151.html

From: Michael McNally
Date: Wed Mar 18 23:24:14 UTC 2020
Subject: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

[... snip ...]

And finally, a note for users of the 9.16 branch (which will be added
to documentation in the future but was inadvertently omitted in the
first releases of that branch):  One of the major features of the BIND
9.16 branch is a reworked networking stack designed around the use of
libuv, a multi-platform library for event-driven communications.  One
side effect of this restructured networking stack is that beginning
with 9.16.0, BIND must now use a different port number for sending
queries, notifies, and transfers than the port on which it listens.
Under default circumstances BIND will do the right thing but if you
have specifically configured BIND to set the source port on queries,
notifies, or zone transfers, that port needs to be different than the
main port on which BIND listens (usually port 53.)