[bind10-dev] release not branched yet -- still in freeze

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Wed Jun 2 22:43:45 UTC 2010

At Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:07:50 -0500,
Michael Graff <mgraff at isc.org> wrote:

> > - Do we need more frequent or louder reminders when builds/checks/
> > installs fail?
>
> No, please, not more.  Better.  When I see "build failed" I generally
> don't spend time to run off and find out why; this is a problem I have
> with BIND 9 builds as well.  So, AIX failed.  Oh well.
>
> If it gave me a snippit of failed build, I'd care and likely fix it if
> it was mine.  No more time wasted running off only to find out it was
> code someone else committed.

In a previous project I was involved in, we email'ed last 20 lines of
test build output when it failed.  "20" was an arbitrary choice and
was not always sufficient to identify the direct cause of the failure,
but we found it very useful.

I personally don't see the current failure reports useless, though.
Unless I'm super busy I don't mind following the link given in the
failure message (and when I'm super busy I wouldn't even bother to
read all incoming email messages timely anyway), and I generally do
that.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya