[bind10-dev] distributed version control

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Wed Jun 9 12:44:31 UTC 2010

On 4/16/2010 6:56 PM, Michael Graff wrote:
> On 2010-04-16 4:01 PM, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:
>> - I don't think it wise to switch simply because someone recommended a
>>   particular tool.  I'd like to see someone in the development team
>>   research into it and come up with a specific proposal of how exactly
>>   we use it in our development model.
>
> +1.
>
> This is how we got CVS over RCS, and svn over CVS.  I believe, even with
> the annoyances of each of these, we have improved at each step.  Someone
> at ISC championed each one of these from having used them before, or in
> another project.
>
> BIND 9 even went through this.  We almost decided on something called
> 'bitkeeper' but I believe it was commercial or was becoming commercial,
> and was closed source for that reason.  Note that closed source was an
> option then too.

Just a couple of comments on this. We've been using bitkeeper for NTP
for years now and I have become totally fustrated with it. One of the
major obstacles that I have is that when I am working on a module and I
want to get updates I have to check-in *and* commit what I am currently
working on just to pull updates from another source code repository. CVS
and SVN just allow you to get updates as needed. Having distributed
source code repositories is nice but it doesn't help with day-to-day
work if you have to do this. I don't know anything about git but if it
does the same thing it's a big problem for developers.

Danny