[bind10-dev] a bikeshed style question: parenthesize return values?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Wed Jun 23 18:33:14 UTC 2010

> So, how can we move forward from here?  I hope we basically at least
> agree the style should be consistent within BIND 10.  Evan and Michael
> have a relatively stronger preference for "adding parentheses

Observation: the people who have been using parens in BIND 10 code--you,
me and Michael--are exactly the people still spending a significant amount
of our time working on BIND 9.  We're the ones who'd notice consistency
issues between the two code bases; we're also the ones who have to shift
gears.

In my non-ISC code I've generally used parens only if it improved clarity,
as in:

        return (a == b);

But not in:

        return NULL;

So I'm okay with whatever the group settles on.  But since I do still work
with BIND 9, I prefer to keep things consistent unless there's a reason to
change.  I haven't heard a reason yet, except for "laziness"--which is
a goal I wholeheartedly support, but IMHO it doesn't outweigh the benefits
of consistency in this case. :)

                                        eh