[bind10-dev] a thought on validation for changes

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at nic.cz
Thu Jan 13 23:17:55 UTC 2011

Hello

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 02:17:14PM -0800, Jerry Scharf wrote:
> What if we had a sequence number for various sections that the datastore
> and it is incremented for every command or transaction that is applied
> to a section (data or configuration?) When the command is run, the new
> sequence number is returned. The user could then put in something like a
> require=sequence on a command and it would fail if any other changes
> have happened in the interval between commands. There could be a
> shorthand to retrieve the last sequence or you could just use the
> require without an argument to get the last sequence.

I think that needing the user to explicitly specify it should check nothing
happened in between is wrong, he will forget and screw it up just by forgetting.
The default should be we check there's no change and he would be able to force
it ‒ it is the safer way around.

Have a nice day

--
No, I will not change your lightbulb.