[bind10-dev] Unshipped tools

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at nic.cz
Fri Jul 1 16:27:49 UTC 2011

Hello

Yesterday, while talking on the jabber, I found out that some of our tools are
not shipped with the tarball. They are not needed during the normal build and
are used only seldom even by us. But I still find this strange, for the
following reasons:
 • It can look like we're trying to hide them for some reason. That would not
   give very OpenSource-like view.
 • It is more work for us, to distinguish what we want to ship and what we
   don't.
 • While they are in git, therefore any more active developer wouldn't be
   missing them, it is an unnecessary barrier for someone just having a fast
   look. When some program makes problems for me, I usually grab the tarball of
   version currently installed to have a look why it happens. Even if it is
   unlikely someone who has just a look would need the tools, I don't see reason
   to hide them from them in case they might find them useful (either directly
   for BIND10 hacking or indirectly for something completely else). Some company
   might want to write their own module/plugin, put logging into it, etc. (and
   for obvious reasons, they would use the version they are running, not current
   master). They might want to do the same we do ‒ generate the manual of
   logging statements for their operators.
 • It is true they are, well, less documented (eg. there are few comments only)
   than the rest of the code, there are no tests for them, but having
   undocumented tool still looks like better variant than having no tool.

So, I'd like to know what are the opinions of other people and if we want to
ship them or not (or, from people not in the core team, do you want to have
them)?

With regards

--
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner