[bind10-dev] Y3-3 release

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Thu Jun 23 20:30:33 UTC 2011

All,

We're going to be starting work on the next release next week. Most of
the work on this will by necessity be groundwork for the *following*
release, I think. It doesn't seem likely we can add DDNS/IXFR in a
6-week period, if we're going to do it right.

Here's what's in Wiki now:

      * DDNS
              * New model for writing to data sources
      * IXFR-out
              * New model for writing to data sources
      * IXFR-in
              * New model for writing to data sources
      * High-performance data source
              * Refactor of data sources
              * Profiling of refactored data sources
              * Performance improvements to existing data source done
              * Update NSD-inspired prototype to match refactored code
      * msgq replacement
      * All RRTYPE codes implemented
      * Socket creator completed
      * b10-auth use multiple cores
      * Equivalent of "rndc reload" and other such commands for
        in-memory data source(s)

The features at the end (starting at "All RRTYPE codes implemented") are
the actual user-visible features.

I am hoping that "rndc reload" will not be too much work, given the
design Jinmei presented, and that b10-auth using multiple cores may also
fall out of that.

I don't know how much work implementing an RRTYPE is, but this should be
good work for filling in areas where we need small, self-contained
tickets (like near the end of a sprint, perhaps). I realize we will
still have some logging work after the end of this sprint, and those
tickets will serve a similar function.

The bulk of the work will hopefully working on refactoring the data
source, along with the initial work for writable data sources.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking now. Your thoughts are appreciated!

--
Shane